Understanding Osseointegration for Implant Success
Your smile deserves to be healthy, confident, and uniquely you. However, missing teeth or ill-fitting dentures can diminish your smile’s radiance and your quality of life. The compassionate team at Oasis Family Dental understands. Thunder Bay dentist, dentist, Dr. Elaine Chow and our skilled dental team take the time to listen and understand your lifestyle, health history, and cosmetic wishes before making recommendations for smile restoration.
Let’s have an open conversation about your smile goals and how thoughtfully designed implants can help you eat, speak, laugh, and live with joyful confidence again. Call us at 807-700-1383 to schedule a consultation.
What is Osseointegration?
Osseointegration is the process by which dental implants fuse with the jawbone. It occurs when the surface of the implant chemically bonds with the bone through the formation of new bone cells. Complete osseointegration is crucial for implant success, as it provides stability and support for the replacement tooth. At Oasis Family Dental, Dr. Chow uses advanced techniques to promote healthy osseointegration.
How Dental Implants Affect Bone Health
- Dental implants help preserve jawbone health. Unlike bridges or dentures, implants mimic natural tooth roots and stimulate bone growth.
- The implant placement surgery also triggers the body’s healing mechanisms to build new bone tissue around the implant. Over time, the bone grows and integrates with the implant in a process called remodeling.
- Dental implants prevent bone loss that occurs after tooth extraction by preserving the integrity of the jawbone. Dr. Chow uses 3D imaging to precisely place implants and supports osseointegration for long-term bone health.
The Benefits of Dental Implants for Your Jaw
Dental implants offer many benefits for the health and integrity of your jawbone, some of which include the following:
- Prevents Bone Loss: As previously mentioned, implants stop the bone loss that occurs after losing natural teeth. The implants act as substitute tooth roots to keep bone tissue stimulated and intact.
- Maintains Facial Structure: Preventing bone loss helps maintain the shape and contour of your face. Bone loss can cause the lower face to sag or appear sunken. Dental implants help prevent this.
- Allows for Easier Future Implant Placement: Implementing implants soon after tooth loss makes it easier to place additional implants later on. Existing implants help preserve bone density and allow for simpler placement procedures.
- Improves Ability to Chew and Eat Properly: A strong, intact jawbone provides stability and anchoring for implant crowns. This allows patients to comfortably chew and eat with the same capacity as natural teeth.
Maintaining Bone Health After Implant Placement
While implants preserve and strengthen jawbone health, patients still need to practice proper dental hygiene and maintenance to ensure lasting results. This includes:
- Regular Dental Visits: See your Thunder Bay, ON dentist Dr. Chow for regular dental checkups every six months to monitor bone health and catch any potential issues early. Cleanings also remove harmful bacteria that could lead to bone loss or implant failure if allowed to accumulate.
- Proper Oral Hygiene: Brush implants twice daily and floss once per day to keep the area plaque-free. Rinsing daily with antimicrobial mouthwash will also protect implant sites.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking restricts blood flow and can prevent proper osseointegration. The chemicals in tobacco products also increase the risk of implant failure. If you’re a smoker, Dr. Chow encourages you to quit for implant success.
- Use Prescribed Medications: If Dr. Chow administers antibiotics or other medications intended to support the implant process, be sure to finish the full regimen as directed. This helps set up a healthy environment for osseointegration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the implant procedure hurt my jawbone?
Do implants always osseointegrate properly with the bone?
Is my age a factor in osseointegration success?
Do mini-implants for dentures also stimulate bone growth?
Don’t Settle for Less Than Your Best Smile, Call Today!
Losing your teeth can negatively impact both your health and self-confidence. However, solutions exist to restore your smile. Dr. Elaine Chow and the team at Oasis Family Dental provide personalized dental implant treatment and care to Thunder Bay and the surrounding communities of Nipigon, Shabaqua, and Kaministiquia.
We understand this journey is as emotional as it is physical. That’s why we listen, provide education, and develop customized implant plans to meet your unique needs. If you’ve lost teeth or suffer from loose, ill-fitting dentures, call 807-700-1383 now to schedule a consultation. Discover how dental implants can transform not just your smile but your outlook and confidence with Oasis Family Dental