Building Strong Foundations
When it comes to dental care, there’s often more involved than cleanings and cavity fillings. Many patients require supplemental procedures to restore proper tooth structure and function. In Thunder Bay, ON, Dr. Elaine Chow performs supplemental treatments to rebuild gum and bone tissue lost due to disease, injury, or other causes. These procedures utilize grafting materials to stimulate natural tissue regrowth, improve aesthetics, and enable restorative treatments. With the right supplemental care, patients in Thunder Bay can correct a variety of oral health concerns and enhance their smile.
Bone grafting is done to rebuild bone in the jaw that has been lost due to trauma, infection, or reshaping of the bone during other dental procedures.
During bone grafting, Dr. Chow will take small amounts of bone from elsewhere in the patient’s body, such as the hip, and transplant it into the jaw. This extra bone stimulates the growth of new, healthy bone tissue in areas where bone volume has been depleted.
There are several reasons Dr. Chow may recommend bone grafting for patients:
- To allow placement of dental implants. Implants require a solid bone foundation to integrate and support the implant.
- Before major restorative dental work, like bridgework, to ensure the jawbone is strong enough.
- To improve the appearance of receding gums, which can expose thin areas of bone in the jaw.
- To promote healing after tooth extractions or trauma to the jaw.
- The bone used in the graft may come from the patient themselves (autograft), a donor (allograft), or artificial bone-like material (alloplast). Dr. Chow will determine the best source based on the individual patient’s needs.
Soft Tissue Augmentation
Soft tissue augmentation is another common supplemental procedure provided by dentists like Dr. Elaine Chow. This treatment is aimed at areas where the gums have receded, exposing vulnerable tooth roots and thin bones.
To perform soft tissue augmentation, Dr. Chow has several options for natural-looking materials that can be used:
- Gum Grafts: Small pieces of gum tissue taken from the roof of the patient’s mouth or donor tissue are stitched into areas where the gumline has receded.
- Alloderm: This is human tissue donated from a tissue bank that is processed into an acellular matrix. The matrix provides a scaffold for the patient’s cells to regenerate gum tissue.
- Soft Tissue Allografts: Like Alloderm, this is donated human gum tissue that can regenerate new gum growth.
- Alloplasts: Synthetic materials made from polymers that mimic gum tissue. Common options are collagen or hyaluronic acid.
Gum grafting and soft tissue augmentation can:
- Reduce tooth sensitivity from exposed roots
- Prevent further gum and bone recession
- Improve the appearance of a “gummy smile”
- Treat gum recession related to orthodontic treatment
Patients in Thunder Bay, ON seek soft tissue augmentation from specialists like Dr. Chow when non-surgical treatments like deep cleanings are insufficient to regrow healthy gum tissue.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the gums to heal after soft tissue augmentation?
Can anyone undergo bone grafting?
Are there any alternatives to supplemental dental implant surgery?
How long do supplemental procedures take?
Your dentist or oral surgeon will provide detailed post-operative instructions to help minimize any discomfort and promote a smooth recovery process.
Discover the Power of a Confident Smile with Supplemental Procedures
Are you tired of hiding your smile due to dental imperfections? It’s time to take action and regain your confidence. Dr. Elaine Chow is ready to help you transform your smile and enhance your life with supplemental procedures.
Whether you need bone grafting, soft tissue augmentation, or other supplemental dental treatments, Dr. Chow’s expertise and compassionate care will guide you on your journey to a radiant smile. Take the first step by calling our Thunder Bay office at 807-700-1383 to schedule your consultation. We proudly serve patients in Thunder Bay, Wild Goose, and Rosslyn, ON. Let us help you unlock the true potential of your smile and embrace a brighter, more confident future.